Bahman Abtahi, Chief Executive Officer
Mr. Abtahi is a recognized figure in the storage industry. He has successfully built more than 9 million square feet of storage facility (120 buildings) in three years. He has led the Construction & Development Division as well as Existing Property Procurement for Public Storage during the past seven years. He has over 30 years of experience in construction, development and marketing leading major public and private organizations. He has a graduate degree in Engineering from University of Louisville in Kentucky.
1996 - 2003 Public Storage Inc.
2001 - 2003, Senior Vice President for Acquisition of existing self storage properties. His main responsibility was to identify appropriate properties and conduct the necessary duo-diligence including feasibility studies, property evaluation, audit and coordination of all engineering and legal activities. Specific tasks included:
Location and market evaluation
Construction, maintainability and capital expenditure addressing:
- Feasibility study, replacement cost and current value calculations
- Property audit for management, physical conditions and financials
- Coordination between legal and accounting
- Preparation of the Property
- Purchase Request package for management and Board approvals
1998 - 2001, Senior Vice President for Construction and Development where he developed over 9 million square feet in storage space (120 buildings) in three years in
. He managed a department with over 50 people (VPs, engineers, architects, accountants, etc), 10 concurrent general contractors, 10-12 architects & consultants and 10-12 expeditors and advisors. His responsibilities spanned all activities from project inception through property readiness and official opening for operations:
- Evaluation of the site, location, traffic, access, zoning and other factors
- Decision on the maximum square footage to be built including market need and building type
- Feasibility study
- Preparation of the Property Construction Request package for the management and Board approvals
- Architect selection and review of the building requirements
- Preparation of the package for zoning and other city approvals
- Project manager assignment and development of a plan for performing the construction internally or general contractor selection.
- Bid document preparation
- Bid issuance
- Proposal review & contractor selection
- Site visit, construction progress review, and contractor invoice approval (if appropriate)
- Change Order review and minimization
- Management and coordination of all tasks required for property opening
The construction designs used for the buildings spanned post tension concrete (six stories), steel structures (3-4 stories), light gauge framing (3 stories) and single story buildings.
1996 - 1998, Senior Vice President for Pickup and Delivery where he started the new division and developed facilities and operations for 50 new locations.